Strategy & Commercial Associate, Energy Division
Cholla Inc. is seeking an experienced power industry professional to strengthen the energy division's underwriting, analysis, business strategies, and commercial capabilities. This individual will sit on the CEO’s team and collaborate closely with the VP of the Energy Division, VP of Land & Development, accounting, finance, operations, and technical teams, providing analytical, regulatory, financial, and operational support. Additionally, this individual will play a crucial role in advising, developing, and communicating risk & market strategies, supporting the establishment of new capabilities, and setting up market and corporate operations teams for both Cholla Inc. and the Energy Division. The ideal candidate will understand Bitcoin's value proposition for individuals, recognize the mutual benefits of flexible loads like Bitcoin mining in the right regulatory environment for grids, and possess a strong desire to make a meaningful contribution to empowering humans to unleash energy abundance.
Desired Communication and Character Traits:
Cholla seeks a humble self-starter who communicates and makes decisions in line with our company principles, constructively overcomes setbacks, respectfully engages opposing views, embraces change, thinks independently, and helps lead the company to best capture opportunities in line with our vision. This candidate will also demonstrate exceptional listening, communication, and collaboration skills when working with various departments within the organization. As a key member of the Energy division, an important aspect of this role will involve communicating the vision, principles, and value proposition to other employees, stakeholders, and the communities we operate in.
• Partner with the CEO, & VP-energy division, VP-land, and development to lead in the discovery/understanding of risk analysis and commercial strategies within the energy division. Develop and oversee commercial strategies to optimize energy and ancillary services based on desired risk profile.
• Develop comprehensive market views and forecasts to identify strategic opportunities and risks associated with market fundamental drivers across ERCOT wholesale power markets.
• Oversee the development and implementation of tools to produce short-term price forecasts to inform, evaluate, and improve upon bidding and dispatch decisions.
• Provide power market insight and risk-mitigation support for all hedging, JV’s, PPA, QSE, and REP negotiations.
• Perform ad hoc financial analysis to inform capital allocation (i.e., commercial strategies, ancillary service payments, financings, PPA’s, budget & quarterly guidance)
• Support the CFO and finance team with budget materials and visualize results of the energy division.
• Support or kill commercial strategies proposed by the CEO through research, empirical data, developing visual mediums and Socratic discussions.
• Lead the development of company position on future pricing in ERCOT to inform risk mitigation & multi-decade commercial strategies.
• Implement and maintain financial analysis tools to monitor the division and provide information to the operations team to inform short- and long-term profitability.
• Collect, analyze, & summarize financial data to assist in the management of operating and capital expenses.
• Establish and oversee a market operation function responsible for maximizing merchant value in Real-Time and Day-Ahead markets.
• Monitor ERCOT market trends and track Power Futures to inform Energy Division commercial strategies.
• Monitor load, generation, peer research & investor presentations to inform commercial strategies.
• Lead in creating presentations to management, regulatory bodies, banks, policy groups, and strategic partners to elevate the understanding of Bitcoin Mining and flexible loads as key contributors to the long-term health of ERCOT.
• Anticipate long term needs and proactively provide feedback & make recommendations for internal & external capabilities expansion.
• Collaborate with Cholla team members and philanthropic/policy partners to promote bitcoin mining as an engine of growth for Texas.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Oil & Gas, Bitcoin Mining, Energy Trading, or similar 24/7 industry experience preferred.
• 10+ years of work experience, with 5+ years of progressive commercial and leadership experience in wholesale power markets; with an in-depth understanding of the valuation of power transmission and generation assets at a BESS, Independent Power Producer, Transmission, EPC, or Investment Banking firm
• Advanced Excel experience: proficient knowledge of Python, SQL, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), AI, and Power BI is a plus.
• Demonstrated quantitative analytical skills–specifically modeling commercial ERCOT strategies.
• Knowledge of ERCOT Demand Response programs.
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment where teamwork and independent work ethic are essential.
• Strong desire to take ownership of new tasks & responsibilities, problems and propose solutions.
• Desire and ability to self-direct while prioritizing, multi-tasking, establishing, and meeting deadlines, often under quickly changing circumstances.
• Curious and eager to learn, possess excellent attention to detail, and strong verbal & written communication skills.
• Curious & follows appropriate hunches.
• Active listener
Never stop exploring!