Compliance Associate, FIU Investigator
Strike's mission is to build a more connected financial world.
Strike allows users to send and receive money anywhere, instantly, with no added fees. Strike is built on top of the Bitcoin network – the largest global, interoperable and open payments standard. Strike believes that open payment networks enable universal participation in the financial system, ushering in a new digital economy with truly borderless money transfers. Strike leverages Bitcoin’s open payment network to offer users the first global peer-to-peer payments app and a novel bitcoin-native payments experience.
Strike is looking for a Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) Investigator to join a fast-growing Bitcoin company. As part of Strike’s Compliance team, you will report to the AML/Sanctions Manager and you will be a critical member of Strike’s operations. The purpose of this role is to provide the in-depth investigative analysis (quantitative and qualitative) that enables Strike to identify and assess the financial crime risks posed to the company. This role will support Strike’s Compliance operations in the US and globally. FIU investigations have a direct impact on all business areas and are used to inform critical business decisions across Strike. You will have the opportunity to take ownership, drive change, and have a direct impact on the overall success of the financial crimes compliance program.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent analytical, critical thinking, and writing skills and be able to thrive in a high-case volume environment. The ideal candidate should thrive working in an ambitious startup environment and be excited about Strike’s mission and potential. You must be comfortable with a team-first approach in a remote work environment. Depending on the candidate's experience, there is potential for this role to be a Senior Associate level position.
- Conduct comprehensive financial crime investigations generated from AML/Sanctions alerts and ad-hoc sources such as law enforcement requests and adverse media.
- Analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data sets to produce in-depth and high-quality written reports that provide assessments of financial crime (e.g. money laundering, bribery and corruption, fraud, tax evasion, sanctions and terrorist financing).
- Document concise and consistent risk-based rationale for alert/investigation conclusions. Maintain thorough records and supporting documentation for all investigations.
- File Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) or equivalent with national authorities when necessary.
- Liaise with operations and onboarding teams as needed during an investigation.
- Actively develop knowledge of criminal methods and Sanctions/AML typologies, applying these characteristics through analysis of transaction data to identify unusual activity.
- Stay abreast of industry standards and developments in the areas of KYC, BSA/AML, and Sanctions, and apply regulatory requirements and internal policies and procedures to case investigations.
- Perform research in support of ad-hoc compliance projects (e.g. program procedures, regulatory inquiries).
- Provide input for FIU system enhancements.
- Minimum four-year degree or equivalent experience. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Law, Economics, Statistics, International Relations, business administration, finance, or a similar field preferred.
- The resourceful and inquisitive mindset with an ability to analyze structured and unstructured data from disparate sources and identify patterns and develop conclusions.
- Investigations/due diligence experience (private or government sector).
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to take ownership of work product and consistently deliver results in a high-case volume production environment.
- Must be able to handle sensitive and high-risk cases and must maintain the highest ethical standards.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel including the ability to perform data analysis. Ability to learn new technologies and systems for conducting data analysis
- Knowledge of the Bitcoin industry is a plus and willingness to gain expertise of the financial crime typologies in the Bitcoin space.
- CAMS certification
- Proficiency in a foreign language
- Salary range: $104,500 - $120,000
- Equity in a high-growth startup
- Health, dental, and vision insurance premium contributions; short & long-term disability insurance and basic life insurance
- Cell phone and internet reimbursement
- Flexible PTO, sick leave & parental leave
- Access to a company 401k plan
A more connected financial world