Sr. Data Engineer
Are you a data engineer who is passionate about bitcoin? Do you enjoy leveraging data to empower teammates and clients?
Unchained Capital is hiring a senior engineer to join our data team to help advance our data stack and the culture around data at Unchained. Our tooling ingests, transforms, and delivers complex data, reporting & analytics products to our teammates and external partners.
U.S.-based candidates only.
Data engineering at Unchained is different to what you might be used to:
- The data, reports, and analytics our team produces are not ancillary or nice-to-haves; they are essential to delivering value and earning revenue. As a result, our data team is central to the success of our business.
- We are extremely dedicated to privacy and security, which are baked into our product, engineering and company culture. As a result, we tend to avoid SaaS in favor of internally developed or hosted tools. For a company our size, our internal data infrastructure is rather sophisticated.
- We do not deal with petabytes of unstructured data. Our data is small in volume and highly structured but extremely complex and valuable since it represents money and financial products. As a result, we care less about performance and throughput and rather more about correctness and security.
- While the majority of our work involves data directly related to our business, clients, or infrastructure, we also do fundamental research in bitcoin and economics. Our plots and analyses are featured in articles on our company blog and sometimes grow so popular that they are replicated by other companies in our space.
Unchained is filled with talented, hard-working, and passionate people. We want to see a strong sense of ownership, intrinsic drive, and a desire to grow. We hold each other to a very high standard and expect that accountability to be mutual. Finally, we strive to embody aspects of the bitcoin ethos – transparent, brutally honest, and based on proof of work. If that sounds like just the thing you’ve been missing in your career up to this point, then we look forward to seeing you in the inbox.
- Manage our data stack
- You will own the implementation and ongoing orchestration of data pipelines and SQL transformations built with dbt. We need the various components to be performant, accurate, highly available, secure, and well-documented. We also are committed to strong change management, monitoring/anomaly detection, security, and incident response protocols.
- Deliver data products and insights
- You will produce metrics, reports, visualizations, and data tools to empower teams throughout Unchained. We’ll need you to work cross-functionally to understand the full scope of perspectives and data needs within the business.
- Drive a data-led culture
- We are seeking somebody who can embody our commitment to data, both inside and outside the data team. We’ll need you to mentor more junior members of the team to help them grow in all areas of data management. Beyond the data team, you will work to foster data literacy by both teaching and sharing. You will partner with colleagues on other teams to develop data products and provide training and support to help them achieve better results. And by developing insightful analyses on relevant aspects of our business, you will engage and inform stakeholders across the company.
Skills & knowledge
- Writing elegant, DRY, performant SQL for analytics purposes (Postgres expertise is a bonus)
- Data and dimensional modeling, schema design, and related concepts (e.g., query construction, optimization and index usage, pre-calculation, semantic data/metrics tooling)
- Transforming raw data into end-user models (dbt expertise is a bonus)
- Implementing data quality/observability tooling and test coverage
- Building reports, analytics, metrics, dashboards etc. with BI tools (e.g., Tableau, Metabase, Looker)
- Building with interactive notebook and custom data application tools (e.g., Jupyter, Streamlit)
- Writing Python code for visualization, data wrangling, etc.
- Linear algebra proficiency, especially as used within data science (e.g., eigensystems) for things like PCA, clustering, correlations, etc.
- Data pipeline orchestration tools (e.g., Dagster, Prefect, Airflow)
- ETL tooling and concepts
- Amazon Web Services (e.g., RDS, EKS, EC2, DMS, S3, Lambda) and Google Apps Scripts
- Integrating with APIs
- Version control with git
- Working from the command line in UNIX-like environments
Your personality & drive
- You are an effective communicator and can tailor your message to various audiences
- You are a problem solver and love to mentor and lift up those around you
- You are a critical thinker, demonstrate sound judgment, and quickly adapt to new concepts
- You excel at both big picture, strategic thinking and more detailed “in the weeds” work
- You can adopt an adversarial mindset when making decisions about data
- You have a passion for bitcoin
- You have worked with the bitcoin protocol and are familiar with its data structure and core concepts (experience running a node is a bonus)
- You have experience in the financial services industry and/or a rapidly growing startup
When applying, please send your resume and a cover letter addressing:
- Why do you want to work at Unchained Capital? What about this job description appeals to you?
- What do you find exciting about bitcoin? What articles or writers have helped you on your bitcoin journey?
- Any writings, open source contributions, or materials you’ve released in the public domain relevant to this position.
- In addition to competitive pay, Unchained offers best-in-class benefits including:
- 401k and stock options
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO
- Training & development opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
- Generous paid parental leave
Not to mention, you’ll be working alongside the most talented, passionate, and hard-working people in our industry!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Friends don't let friends sell bitcoin.