Strike's mission is to build a more connected financial world.
Strike allows users to send and receive money anywhere, instantly, with no fees.
Strike is built on top of the Bitcoin network - the largest global, interoperable and open payments standard. Strike believes that open payment networks enable universal participation in the financial system, ushering in a new digital economy with truly borderless money transfers. Strike leverages Bitcoin’s open payment network to offer users the first global peer-to-peer payments app and a novel bitcoin-native neobanking experience.
As an Engineering Manager at Strike, you’ll focus on developing our excellent engineering teams and collaborating across the business. You are passionate about helping others contribute more and develop as engineers and people. You enjoy the challenge of balancing speed of execution with quality while building scalable solutions to support Strike's growing needs.
What you’ll achieve:
- Manage a team of 6-8 product engineers
- Coach engineers in their technical and professional development
- Partner with the team and contribute technically as needed
- Work and learn alongside great peer managers with a strong sense of team
- Master the arts of delegation and scaling yourself
- Collaborate cross-functionally and cross-team to help deliver cross-cutting improvements
- Help the team identify single points of failure and future risks, and proactively mitigate them
- Recruit for and grow the team
- Help define how the team evolves and interacts with the rest of Strike
- 5+ years of experience working in the technology industry, with good cross functional capabilities
- 2+ years experience managing a technical team
- Excellent communication skills for collaborating with other teams
- Experience working cross-functionally with engineering teams and product management in a fast paced environment
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and your organization as a whole
- Care deeply about the happiness and satisfaction of your reports
- Willing and able to dive into the code yourself, if and when it makes sense
- Ability to provide valuable input to any technical or product discussion
- Thoughtful, especially with regard to the long-term consequences of your decisions
- Equipped with the intelligence, empathy, integrity, and technical chops required to quickly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done - and then doing it
What we're looking for: technical ability
Engineering Managers at Strike are seen as experts and advisors on technical matters. We are looking for builders - people who have a technical toolkit (software concepts, understanding of systems, knowledge of technologies) and an ability to apply it to solve problems.
There are a couple of reasons we want Engineering Managers to have strong technical skills:
- As a manager, you’ll provide daily guidance to people whose job it is to build software and solve technical problems. With strong technical skills, you will be equipped to be a good coach for your team.
- As an Engineering Manager, you are often a backstop on your team’s technical decisions. It’s crucial that you’re able to recognize bad patterns and help your team avoid them. You should be able to identify areas in which your team needs technical guidance, and either provide it yourself, elicit ideas from the team, or find help from experts outside the team. You should be able to ask detailed questions to help guide your team to good solutions.
What we're looking for: management skills
As a manager at Strike you will be committed to supporting your reports, mentoring others, helping your team, providing clarity and autonomy, and collaborating and communicating effectively with others.
As a manager, your role is to help your reports be productive and happy, and build the careers they want. As part of this responsibility, you will need to run effective 1:1s, guide growth and provide development opportunities, manage performance, give feedback, and delegate responsibilities.
You must have the desire to grow and mentor your team. We look for people to join us who are interested in nurturing growth, and cultivating excellence.
Managers at Strike are crucial to smooth teams and organization-wide operations. In this regard, you must be able to develop processes and remove hurdles to facilitate great and fast execution by your team.
What this means in practice, is that we’re looking for people who have managed process and organizational design improvements, successfully resolved conflict, and hired and supported successful teams. We expect you to help maintain positive relationships between engineers and PMs.
Part of your role as a manager is to hire and plan for your team so you must be able to anticipate the needs of your team and look both internally and externally to fill those needs.
Autonomy, collaboration, and communication:
We look for autonomy, collaboration, and communication skills in all engineering candidates, but believe they’re especially important for managers. You must be able to make decisions in the presence of ambiguity to create clarity for your reports and teams.
As a manager, you’ll be helping to decide what’s most important for you and your team to focus on, so it’s important that you can prioritize, create alignment, and provide clarity. Beyond being autonomous and guiding your team, we expect you to take ownership of problems that you see in your team, or across the org - even if they may be beyond your defined responsibilities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A more connected financial world