Senior Data Engineer
At Unchained Capital, our mission is to build a bitcoin native ecosystem that ensures everyone can secure and maximize the value of their bitcoin holdings over multiple generations. Our goal is to be a full suite services provider, building on a foundation of bitcoin custody where clients hold their own bitcoin keys. In addition to custody, our services include lending (loans backed by bitcoin), buying bitcoin directly to vaults with keys controlled by clients, concierge onboarding, and retirement products.
Unchained Capital is a trusted brand building trust minimized products on top of bitcoin. Private key ownership and usage is at the center of everything we do. Whether a company is managing its treasury or an individual is saving bitcoin for the future, we believe in customers participating in their private key security. This presents hard problems to solve that include solutions directly tied to bitcoin’s multisig properties and more traditional software permission controls.
Are you passionate about data, bitcoin, financial markets, and changing the nature of banking? Do you enjoy working with brilliant and kind people on a high-stakes mission at the center of a growing company? Unchained Capital is hiring a Senior Data Engineer to join our data team. Our Data Team owns our data pipeline (dbt), our analytics environments, and the data & analytics products we provide for other teams within Unchained.
The Data Team at Unchained has grown into an indispensable partner to every other team, enabling people throughout the company to extract insights from our collective data. You will bring a high level of rigor, a focus on security and governance, and a strong engineering mindset. You will play a key role in driving the team’s maturation, helping to shape it into an exemplar of sound data management practices.
Your responsibilities will cover three main areas: managing our data stack, delivering data products and insights, and teaching colleagues outside the team to become more self-proficient with data.
Managing our data stack
You will own the implementation and ongoing orchestration of data pipelines and SQL transformations built with dbt. You will ensure that the various components of our data stack are performant, accurate, highly available, and well-documented.
This means you have been involved in the full spectrum of data work and are well-versed in data warehouses and business intelligence tools. Your competencies include:
- Building data pipelines to move data between data stores, SaaS applications, etc
- Designing warehouse data models, including the life cycle of business data
- Understanding the analytics and reporting needs of various business units and the corresponding data implications
- Performing and sharing analyses
- Building reports
Some of the core elements of our data stack include Postgres, dbt, Metabase, Amazon Web Services (RDS, DMS, S3, Lambda), and Google Apps Scripts.
Delivering data products and insights
You will produce metrics, reports, and visualizations to empower teams throughout Unchained. This includes everything from business metrics for the exec team to real-time reporting for the operations team to supporting deep blockchain research. You will also be a voice of reason when it comes to things like correlation vs. causation and avoiding tunnel vision through the use of counter metrics alongside key metrics. Your work will be thoughtful, intuitive, and most of all will drive value for the business.
You know how to write elegant, DRY SQL queries and are aware of many pitfalls when modeling data. You are comfortable in the command line, and you have also written scripts in languages like Python or Ruby to manipulate data, interface with APIs, etc. Additionally, you are experienced with git and strong change management techniques.
Alongside your colleagues on the Data Team, you will teach others in the company how to get the most value out of our data products. You will learn about their perspectives and needs, and in turn empower them to better achieve business objectives through the effective use of data.
You are comfortable working in a cross-functional capacity, collaborating empathetically with people on any team in the company. You are passionate about solving problems for your teammates and helping them move faster. You are an effective verbal and written communicator, both interpersonally and in writing documentation. You are able to apply your data and systems expertise in dynamic business environments, quickly adapting to new concepts.
On the technical side, you have 5+ years experience doing applied data analysis and engineering. You understand dimensional modeling and various data schema design, and you are skilled at using dbt to transform raw data into end-user models. You also keep up with modern approaches and advancements in the field.
You have a track record of thinking critically about data, architecting systems and bringing insights to bear while sewing a data-forward culture. You also are deeply aware of the risks inherent in managing sensitive data, and you are able to adopt an adversarial mindset when making decisions about data.
While honing these skills, you have also learned the importance of data quality and governance controls. You value clean, reliable, and well-documented data, and you understand the breakdowns in trust that can occur when others are not able to trust our data products.
You have developed your skills through perseverance, and you demonstrate ingenuity in your work. You have battle scars from your untold hours spent fixing data pipeline failures, writing data transformations, ironing out data quality issues, fine-tuning query performance, and more.
What you can expect in your first year
- First week: You will start onboarding. You will understand at a high level Unchained’s products and operations and our data stack. You will submit your first PR to the dbt project.
- Next month: You will have finished onboarding and will have a strong sense of our data stack. You will actively contribute to the dbt project and will also recommend improvements to things like tooling, processes, and the data model. You will spend time with our marketing, sales, finance, support, and operations teams to understand their workflows and tools and inform changes or additions to our data products.
- Next 3 months: You will become the owner of various elements of our data stack, including the dbt project and data pipelines. You will work closely with other teams to make sure that key metrics are delivered securely, accurately, and in a timely fashion.
- Next 8 months: You will continue to be responsible for the dbt project and data pipelines. As we scale, you will work proactively with other stakeholders to support further data and reporting needs.
- You have a passion for bitcoin
- You have worked with the bitcoin protocol or other blockchain technologies
- You have experience in the financial services industry
When applying, please send your resume and a cover letter. Bonus: If you have published any writings, made open source contributions, or released materials in the public domain relevant to this position, please send them along too!
- In addition to competitive pay, Unchained offers best-in-class benefits including:
- Bonus plan, 401k, and stock options
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO
- Training & development opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
- Generous paid parental leave
Not to mention, you’ll be working alongside the most talented, passionate, and hard-working people in our industry!
Unchained Capital, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and do not discriminate based on race, gender, color, religion, age, or any other basis protected by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The first Bitcoin native financial services company offering collaborative multisig vaults, loans, and buy bitcoin OTC. Not your keys, not your coins.